Sunday, May 16, 2010

Live In The Promised Land


This may have been the first bootleg I ever purchased and was definitely the first Bruce Springsteen LP I purchased. A friend once told me that to fully appreciate Springsteen, you simply had to hear him live. Well with one listen to this gem, I was hooked on both The Boss and the live experience. Though not perfect, the sound quality on this three LP set was great. The recording was taken from a live FM broadcast at Winterland in San Francisco on December 15, 1978.

In 1989 this three LP Piste Disques release was brought over to the digital age by Great Dane Records on three CDs. It included two additional tracks from the broadcast not found on the LP plus another bonus track from a different show. Later this show was released by the Crystal Cat label from a different source – a tape that was mixed by the Springsteen camp for a later broadcast on KSAN-FM. Included are seven additional tracks from two different 1978 concerts. Also a three CD release, this is the best available recording of this show and probably the best Bruce Springsteen show ever. I finally did buy some official Springsteen LPs, but I still agree with my friend - his concerts run circles around his studio recordings.

No comments:

Post a Comment